Nashville Hot Catfish
The "Nashville Hot Chicken" craze gets a new spin with catfish!
Write a review
- 2 lb Catfish filets, strips or nuggets
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Creole Rub (see below)
- 1/2 Cup Hot Oil
- White Bread of choice (I use 2 pieces per serving)
- 1 Cup Ranch Dressing
- 1 Cup Dill Pickle Slices
- 4 Tbsp Cayenne
- 2 Tbsp Smoked paprika
- 4 Tbsp Chili powder
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp ground white pepper
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- Preheat pot of peanut oil to 350 degrees.
- Season Cornmeal with salt. Dredge each piece of catfish in flour, buttermilk, and seasoned cornmeal, and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- In large METAL bowl or pot, add ¼ C of creole rub with a healthy pinch of salt. Add ¼ C of HOT fryer oil (about 350 degrees) to the mixing bowl and stir until a loose paste forms. You may need to add more oil to achieve the correct consistency. Set paste to the side.
- Fry Catfish in batches until golden brown and crispy, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towel.
- Toss catfish gently in chili paste mixture until evenly coated. If you want it really spicy, just add more cayenne to mix.
- Serve Hot Catfish on top of sliced white bread. Garnish with pickles and ranch dressing
madison brown https://www.madisonbrown.net/