Last week’s episode found us in the kitchen with the one and only Gregg “Hobie” Hubbard. He’s pretty much the greatest, ever. And he was kind enough to let me share his dad’s very famous pumpkin bar recipe. We have made these for every single Thanksgiving I can remember. No fall gathering at the Miller house is complete without a pan (or two or five) of these scrummy little bars! Easy to make, perfect for a large crowd, and oh so good. They’ll become a family staple for your holidays, too!
Pumpkin BarsCourse: Dessert
- For the Bars
2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 cup corn oil
2 cups mashed cooked pumpkin (or pumpkin puree)
4 large eggs
- For the Frosting
4 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
8 tbsp butter at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. orange juice
1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, add the first 6 ingredients. Stir to mix.
- Add oil, pumpkin and eggs; beat one minute at medium speed.
- Spoon batter into a jelly roll pan (15x10x1).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely and top with fluffy cream cheese frosting.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients and beat with an electric whisk or paddle attachment until light and creamy.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix until fluffy. About 5 minutes.
- For whatever reason, we always have served these bars in rectangular pieces. Enjoy!